+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Contraceptive

Unregistered

Contraceptive

Hello,
    Does being on a contraceptive (I'm on oralcon) affect my weight loss? As I've recently started dieting and exercing. Also, what are good ways to reduce stress?

hi there, firstly i am glad you have asked about the oral contraceptive pill. This is a myth. It does not cause weight gain. older generation contraceptive pills such as triphasil and minerva did cause a small measure of fluid retention but even that was minimal and did not increase weight in women taking them. Newer generation pills like oralcon (also known as Nordette) does not cause weight gain or fluid retention. there is however evidence for the contraceptive injections Depo-Provera and Nur-esterate causing small amounts of fluid retention and weight gain due to dramatic changes in hormone levels and appetite. A review of 44 studies showed no evidence that birth control pills caused weight gain in most users. And, as with other possible side effects of the pill, the minimal weight gain is generally temporary, going away within two to three months. if you require evidence i will send you links to various research studies done proving NO weight gain as a standard side effect. weight is caused by eating too much and exercising too little! Definitely not the pill
    Dr. Faatima Ahmed Akoon
    info@livingstudio.co.za akoonf@gmail.com
    call 0114200802
    http://www.livingstudio.co.za/home

to reply to your question related to stress.
    obviously a difficult one as stress is a multi-faceted problem involving pscho-social factors which cannot always be resolved for example work stress. It also requires a very multidisciplinary team to help you. From a medical perspective i recommend a few simple things: make sure you a taking a multivitamin daily as stress lowers your immunity substantially. also, Vitamin B Complex injections are incredibly helpful to settle nerve function helping with excessive agitation or with poor appetite due to stress. have a B complex shot at your GP at least every 6 weeks if you are constantly challenged by stress. If your stress is becoming uncontrollable or you suffer physical symptoms like panic attacks, insomnia, etc i advise you to seek professional help sooner than later before it takes over your life. this should include a full medical with bloods for a thyroid function and vitamin D level and psychosocial help. This does not necessarily mean a sychologist or psychiatrist but look for a life coach/. life coaching has an amazing approach to helping you cope better. i will get my Life Coach colleague to assist you further.
    Dr. Faatima Ahmed Akoon
    info@livingstudio.co.za akoonf@gmail.com
    call 0114200802
    http://www.livingstudio.co.za/home

+ Reply to Thread

Facebook Comments