+ Reply to Thread

Thread: healthy spicy food

Unregistered

healthy spicy food

I find that I get bored with steamed and roast veges and plain foods. Is there a way to have curries etc that is more weight loss friendly?

Healthy Habit Expert
    Hi there,
    Yes there are ways to lose weight with spicy curries. Here are some tips:
    - Cut the oil:
    When frying onions or making a vagaar, cut down on the oil to 2 teaspoons or cut it out altogether! if you still can't avoid the oil, fry your onions in oil, then drain the oil once onions are ready. For mutton curries, let the curry cool and then skim the oil off the surface. Mutton has fat between the muscle fibres and is often difficult to get out without 'mincing' the meat! Try to remove most of the skin and fat from meat and chicken before cooking.
    - Spices, masaalas, herbs
    There is nothing wrong with flavouring your foods with spices, masaalas and herbs. in this way you will still ensure the food tastes good but without adding so much oil and salt. Salt is a silent killer as it does affect blood pressure, so try to cut down your salt as much a possible.
    - Starches
    be careful with starches as they can adversely affect your weight loss. Potatoes fall part of the starch group so choose either a small piece of potato/ rice/ brown roti but not 2 of these together. Soft brown rotis can be made with brown bread flour and boiling water.
    -Vegetables
    Try adding your vegetables to your curry. Baby marrows, mushrooms, finely chopped cabbage, baby corn, peppers can all be added to the curry once the meat is coked. Turn the heat down and let the vegetables 'steam'. A curry does not have to be just potato, meat and roti.

Should you require more information, you are welcome to attend the 'you are what you eat'- healthy cooking demos, which are held at 'the living studio' in Benoni once a month. You are welcome to email me for more information.
    Faaizah Asmal

BSC DIETETICS (UFS)
    RD (SA)
    DT 0030422
    faaizah.dietician@gmail.com

+ Reply to Thread

Facebook Comments