+ Reply to Thread

Thread: weight

Unregistered

weight

I am a male 26 years of age 1,75m n I can't seem 2 pick up weight I eat a lot bt no improvements I am nw 52kgs what can I do n when I do workout I jst lose weight not pick up

Healthy Habit Expert
    Hi there. Thank you for the question. Your weight according to your BMI is 17kg/m2. You are definitely underweight. However, if you want or need to gain weight, do it the healthy way -- which is not about overdoing it at an all-you-can-eat buffet. Here are some tips to help you put on some healthy weight:

- Calories Count, But So Do Nutrients
    Calories also mean energy, or how much energy you would get from a specific food. Some foods are calorie (energy risk) for example high in fats like a plate of french fries, but nutrient rich means foods that re high in vitamins and minerals (for example yoghurt, with muesli and chopped fruit) or a chicken wrap with vegetables in a brown tortilla wrap.
    Focus on healthy foods to gain weight, because even though you have more leeway with calories, good nutrition still rules. Weight gain requires eating calorie risk foods but also nutrient- rich foods- not just high calorie foods with lots of fats and sugar. Your goal would be to choose foods that are packed with vitamins, minerals, nutrients, and calories so each bite is loaded with good nutrition. Start with nutritious foods and then wherever you can, enrich the foods with additional ingredients like yogurt, fruit, nuts, and healthy fats (add olives, avocados, olive oil, light mayo to foods)

- Eat Often to Gain Weight
    Regardless of why you want to gain weight, eating meals or substantial snacks (think mini-meals) more often is the way to pack more calories into the day. Try to eat six times a day, with each meal (or at least three of them) containing protein, starch, vegetable[s], and fat. A sample meal: a chicken sandwich on whole-grain bread with mayonnaise, baby spinach, peppers and tomatoes and a fruit smoothie.
    Eat often and choose wisely, and you can expect to gain an average of 0.5 to 1kg per week. Snack on fruit, nuts, even a shake for example (nutren active/ ensure) will be good enough. Try blending the powder with low fat milk and fruit to make a delicious smoothie.

Gaining Muscle Mass
    The best way to gain weight would be to gain muscle at the same time, and not just fat. That is why it is important to look at your meals and choose wisely. Choose frequent, healthy snacks to fuel your physical activity. Try to write down what you eat and analyse it at the end of the day. Gaining muscle mass does take some time and investment and most often, once analysed, people who are trying to put on weight do not actually eat as much as they should!
    If you are still not sure about how to go about this the right way, consult a dietician in your area to get a full assessment or meal plan.
    Faaizah Asmal

BSC DIETETICS (UFS)
    RD (SA)
    DT 0030422
    faaizah.dietician@gmail.com

slmz. i can hear the frustration and it understandable. weight gain is extremely difficult, far more than weight loss.
    unfortunately it all starts with genetics, so you will have tolook at your father or brothers to determine whether you are genetically small and perhaps incapable of large amounts of weight gain due to your genes. There are 3 types of metabolisms and you will always fall into one category:
    Ectomorphs, endomorpsh, and mesomorphs.The Mesomorph are Naturally muscular, Naturally lean with Broad shoulders. they Lose fat easily, Gain muscle and strength easily and have an efficient and fast-burning metabolism. These people are generally gifted bodybuilders and athletes.
    The Endomorph stores fat very easily, and finds it hard to lose the fat. An endomorph often has a sluggish metabolism, and must be particularly careful with their diet. They tend to be naturally overweight, Gain fat easily, Find it difficult to lose the fat and are larger around the waist. They are sensitive to carbohydrates (particularly processed and refined carbs). If you are predominantly endomorphic - you will probably find that diet alone (i.e. diet without exercise) will not be enough to bring down your weight levels. Because you have a slow metabolic rate, it must be boosted with aerobic exercise and weight training.

Although it seems like the hardest thing to do - good aerobic exercise in the morning will be very helpful. Unfortunately it seems like a cruel genetic "roll of the dice", that means endomorphs must work so much harder to keep the fat off.
    The Ectomorph

You are an Ectomorph. Naturally lean and thin. They seem to eat all sorts of unhealthy foods, and yet stay slim. However endomorphs are also low in muscular strength, and find it difficult to gain muscle. You have a genetically Fast metabolism and are Naturally lower in strength levels (not allowing you to pick up heavier weights).

If you do not have an ectomorphic metabolism you need to look at input and output. As Faaizah suggested you Must look at healthy high energy meals for input with constant snacking, thats where the protien shakes and smoothies are very helpful. For output you need to do cardio exercise once a week only (at least as you still need to keep your heart strong irrespective of your weight) and concentrate all your exercise efforts at slow, low repetition but heavy weight training and resistance training like using a gymstick or a theraband.
    practical aspects include, take long breaks between your sets and waiting for your heart rate to go back to baseline before your next set. As a male you should not be bicep curling anything less than 8kg free weight and 22kg bar or 15kg machine, for triceps nothing less than 8kg free weight or 15kg machine. For leg press you should be pressing at least 50kg and chest pressing 22kg. for dead lifts you must be lifting at least 45kg and for back rowing atleast 15kg free weight and 30kg machine row, to see any muscle building results. anything less will just be keeping your muscle tones and healthy but not tearing enough to add on bulk.
    stay away from kettlebells as they form part of cardio exercise not weight training. And remember do not be fooled by anyone in a gym. any male bigger than 85kg-90kg that is lean and built, has done so unnaturally with steroids, growth hormones and supplements. I do advise you to rather invest in a body builder personal trainer who can assist you to lift heavier weights and try to tear enough to add on bulk. f
    Dr. Faatima Ahmed Akoon
    info@livingstudio.co.za akoonf@gmail.com
    call 0114200802
    http://www.livingstudio.co.za/home

+ Reply to Thread

Facebook Comments