PDA

View Full Version : Marriage proposal....what should I say?

Unregistered
21-06-2013, 07:06 AM
Salams

I have been engaged previously but it did not work out (2 yrs ago)...there is a family now interested in me for their son and they are coming to meet my parents. I'm not sure, but I think he may have been married before, but this does it bother me at all. I just want to know, should I be upfront and tell them I was previously engaged? Or should I not say anything? What if they ask?

Sorry I'm quite confused, my engagement was between the two families and wasn't highly publicised at the time, so I don't think the family coming now wild know that I was engaged.

Could be engaged previously be a deal breaker for future proposals?

I would really like to know what everyone thinks or any experiences you have had.

Ps. This family coming now, is a wonderful and respected family.

Jazakallah :)

Unregistered
21-06-2013, 07:11 AM
I forgot to mention that my engagement lasted just a couple months

Jazakallah :)

Unregistered
28-06-2013, 01:45 PM
slm
maybe first meet them and boy and see what type of people they are, if you feel that you could have a marriage with this man then tell him the truth alone and let him decide if he want to continue witht the marriage proposal

Unregistered
16-07-2013, 01:05 PM
I don't think you should jump the gun and tell them just yet. Meet him, and if you like him and wish for the arrangements to go forward then tell him. I wouldn't be comfortable telling his entire family, maybe tell him in private and let him pass it on. If it does not matter to him, he may not even tell them. Good luck!

Unregistered
16-07-2013, 01:09 PM
I would tell him.. There's nothing to be ashamed of and its made you the person you are today so why hide it? These things happen in society and I don't believe it should be a deal breaker. It may lead to a few more questions regarding the situation which is also understandable.

So my advice is be forthcoming, tell him. Again it's shaped you to be the person he meets today and life goes on. Good luck!

Unregistered
16-07-2013, 01:13 PM
I think honesty is the best policy in every situation,tell them when they come,otherwise when u tell them in future dey would b suspicious as to y u didn't tell them in the 1st place,could also suspect dat u were @ fault dats y it got broken n dats y u were hiding it.

Unregistered
16-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Salaams. I would say that you should let the boy know about it if you like him and the boy's family proposes. These days, it doesn't matter whether you have been engaged before. I am an example of it. I had two engagements which were broken off and I married a man who felt that it did not matter as it happened for a reason and neither did him or his parents delve into it.