PDA

View Full Version : Low carb High fat diet

Unregistered
06-06-2013, 02:23 PM
I'd like an opinion on the low-carb-high-fat diet and it's effect on diabetes

Dr Joy Saville
06-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Could you please send me a sample of this diet plan so that I can give you a more objective opinion

Unregistered
06-06-2013, 02:50 PM
It's a very simple diet. You reduce your carb intake to 50g per day, and switch to normal fats.

As an example I have cut out wheat (cereals, bread, roti, cakes & biscuits), rice, potatoes, etc. I have oats or omelettes for breakfast, meat fish or chicken for lunch for protein. Lots of fruit and veg the whole day, and a very light supper. No eating after 7pm.

Minimum 10,000 steps a day (using a stepper).

Dr Joy Saville
06-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Is there a restriction on the amount and type of fruits and veg you eat daily?

Are you following the Tim Noakes eating plan? Or a paleo diet?

Unregistered
06-06-2013, 04:31 PM
I'm following Tim Noakes

Dr Joy Saville
07-06-2013, 08:52 AM
I have personally seen the benefits of the TIm Noakes eating plan particularly in diabetic patients. I think it is a fantastic plan IF it can be sustained. That would be my only concern is whether or not you can maintain an eating plan of this nature for life. I would recommend this to diabetic patients. I use a similar plan for 2 weeks on my patients, and slowly reintroduce carbohydrate foods to see which carbs are well tolerated and which are not. If my patients are able to eat this way for longer than 2 weeks, it is encouraged. However, many are not able to and so reintroduction of small amounts of carbs are necessary.

All the best

Unregistered
07-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I have been on it for 11 weeks and the results are amazing thus far. After 12 years, I have stopped all medication completely. My random blood sugars are generally below 7. I plan to do a full blood check after another 2 weeks.

My initial query was really related to long-term side-effects, if any. Unfortunately, not much research there.

Regards