PDA

View Full Version : Iron deficiency

Unregistered
20-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Hello.
My 7yr old has been diagnosed with iron deficiency. Iron stores in bone marrow are completely depleted.
Doctor has prescribed iron supplements. Syrup ferrous gluconate for next few months.
My questions are
* what can I give to ensure that maximum amount of iron is absorbed.
* foods to have and foods to avoid?
* should I be concerned over possible liver damage from high doses of iron supplements?
* how can I prevent constipation due to high doses? Diet is healthy, with lots of fruits, veg and water.
No soft drinks or fruit juices, sweets, chocolates or crisps and no processed foods. These may be eaten occassionslly like 2 x a month.
Any advice will be much appreciated.

Dr Joy Saville
21-03-2013, 12:18 PM
1. Iron absorption can be maximised when supplementation is given with vitamin C
2. Iron rich foods such as spinach, beetroot, red meat, organ meats especially liver, pumpkin and sesame seeds, chickpeas and split peas, raisins; food sources rich in vitamin C include strawberries, broccoli, and citrus fruit - these foods should be encouraged
3. Food rich in calcium should not be taken at the same time as iron rich foods - e.g. dairy products like cheese
4. The liver is susceptible to toxicity in iron overload states, however this is more common in patients who are genetically predisposed to this. You should consult with your paediatrician on a regular basis to evaluate the dosage needed by your daughter
5. as constipation is a side effect of the medication you should continue adding more fibre in the form of fruits and vegetables and sufficient water intake i.e. 30ml x kg = daily water intake; a mild, natural laxative can also be given - Tibb practitioners stock a medication called hamdard ghutti syrup for colic and constipation, Tibb haemoclear syrup will also be beneficial and can be taken on a daily basis in the prevention of constipation
6. in addition you can give your child tissue salt number 4 (preferably from natura or an atifa registered consultant);

Unregistered
23-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Thank you so much.
Just one question regarding tissue salts,
Are other brands not as good as Natura or atifa?
Like homeoforce and Dischem own house brand?
Or why do u recommend the Natura over the other brands?

Dr Joy Saville
27-03-2013, 11:23 AM
These brands have been recommended to me. It has something to do with the quality of the products as they are not all equal

Unregistered
27-03-2013, 09:54 PM
Thank you.