PDA

View Full Version : bad breath

bad breath
17-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Hello doc
My mouth tends to get very dry n smelly
Very quickly.I do brush regularly n drink water also floss and use listering mouth wash. Y do I still suffer wid bad breath? Any suggestions I cld do to prevrent it
Thanks

kerbee
18-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Maybe there something wrong with your mouth, try to eat fruits and vegetables and avoid eating meat. Question, do you smoke? coz smoking is one of the best cause of bad breath or you have problem on your gums, or even at your stomach either, I'm not a doctor but sometimes I feel like what you feel, and the only thing I do is drinking lots of water, and eating candies that's it. Or you may go to wellness coach for you to find what's the reason behind of your bad breath. One of the best example of this is wellness coach nj (http://www.fallmadlyinlovewithyourself.com).

Dr Joy Saville
19-10-2012, 09:15 AM
It is important to determine why your mouth is dry as this is the most probable cause of the bad breath. Treatment should be aimed at treating the cause of the dry mouth and not just the symptom, as symptomatic treatment will leave you with temporary relief. Consult with your doctor so that a more thorough examination can be performed and a cause identified. See below for the possible causes of dry mouth by Mayo clinic

Home remedies for dry mouth
1 tsp of fennel seeds
1 tsp of aniseed
eat this mixture once daily

1 glass of of hot water
1tsp cardamom powder
mix well
leave standing for 15 minutes
drink once a day

suck on a piece of clove after each meal

eat fruits and vegetables as they have a high water concentration
quit smoking or chewing tobacco
avoid drinking soda's as this dehydrates the body

Medications. Hundreds of medications, including some over-the-counter drugs, produce dry mouth as a side effect. Among the more likely types to cause problems are some of the drugs used to treat depression and anxiety, antihistamines, decongestants, high blood pressure medications, anti-diarrheals, muscle relaxants, drugs for urinary incontinence, and Parkinson's disease medications.
Aging. Getting older isn't a risk factor for dry mouth on its own; however, older people are more likely to be taking medications that may cause dry mouth. Also, older people are more likely to have other health conditions that may cause dry mouth.
Cancer therapy. Chemotherapy drugs can change the nature of saliva and the amount produced. Radiation treatments to your head and neck can damage salivary glands, causing a marked decrease in saliva production.
Nerve damage. An injury or surgery that causes nerve damage to your head and neck area also can result in xerostomia.
Other health conditions. Dry mouth can be a consequence of certain health conditions — or their treatments — including the autoimmune disease Sjogren's syndrome, diabetes, Parkinson's disease, HIV/AIDS, anxiety disorders and depression. Stroke and Alzheimer's disease may cause a perception of dry mouth, even though the salivary glands are functioning normally. Snoring and breathing with your mouth open also can contribute to the problem.
Tobacco use. Smoking or chewing tobacco can increase dry mouth symptoms.