PDA

View Full Version : testing before marriage

Unregistered
13-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Askum,I am going to be engaged to a boy soon. I don't suspect him to be a bad person,but I don't know him too well and I would want to go and have himself tested for HIV because in this day and age anything is possible.in islam am I allowed to ask for this and how should I ask and what if they take the wrong meaning. Thanx in advance

Unregistered
15-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Good idea to get it done, but awkward to request. Rather suggest that you both go together to get it done.

Unregistered
15-10-2012, 11:51 AM
This is for the rest of your life, it is worth doing it and asking, even if he may be a little offended. Explain to him you would like it done, it's not because you suspect him and you should go as well. It's not fair to ask and then not do it yourself. I don't know islamically, but in terms of human rights, it is your body and your right to ensure that you aren't exposed to HIV.
I think more ppl should be getting HIV tested before marriage, whether or not you know them well. Why risk so much?

Unregistered
15-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Islamic Careline in Fordsburg has premarital counselling. They also help run a service called 'Muslim AIDS Programme'.
Maybe make an appointment to see a premarital counsellor with your fiance and then they can help you discuss your fears with him.
I think that's one of the best way to do it.

Islamic Careline: 0113738080

Bibi-Aisha
02-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Assalaamu alaikum

I'm doing a series of stories on HIV/Aids, one on HIV testing before marriage. If you decide to ask him, would you be a) willing to share your story or b) allow me to join you to document it?
I can guarantee anonymity.

Please get in touch.

Bibi-Aisha Wadvalla
bb.aisha@gmail.com
WadvallaBA@sabc.co.za

Mufti Yusuf Moosagie
26-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Assalamualaikum

Your request that your prospective husband undergo a HIV test may create the impression that you do not trust him, whilst trust is the cornerstone of every marriage. This may have serious consequences on your marriage later on. Never the less, If there are genuine grounds to suspect that your prospective husband may be HIV Positive then you may request that he undergo a HIV test. You should not make this request merely because of baseless suspicions. Only make this request if there are strong indications that, in the past he may have been involved in illicit relationships or he may have been involved in drug abuse. Not withstanding the above, it should be noted that he is not obliged to under go the test. He can not be forced to do it.

AND ALLAH TA’ALA KNOWS BEST