PDA

View Full Version : light headed with stiff calf muscles

Unregistered
20-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Hi Dr.

I am overweight and I suffer from PCOS. For almost a month now I've been on a high protein low carb diet. For the past week or so I've been experiencing light headedness everytime and bend down and get back up and my calf muscles pull stiff. I never had this problem before. I also have a constant tension like pain in my upper back on the left hand side only and I experience a tingly sensation around that area too. What can this be? I drinks loads of water everyday and I've lost quite a few kg's since I started the diet.

Dr Joy Saville
22-02-2013, 02:13 PM
It is hard to assess the exact cause of the symptoms you have been experiencing without doing a proper consultation and examination. However, when consulting with a nutritionist, they said that it is possible to become dehydrated when doing high protein diet. Even though you are taking in lots of water, you may not have the right stuff (e.g. sodium ions) to utilize and absorb the water efficiently. one thing you should try for the duration of this diet, especially if you are exercising as well (increase fluid loss) is making a solution using 1L of boiling water and adding 2tbsp of himalaya salt. You should add 1 tablespoon of this solution per 500ml of your drinking water.

You should also try a combination of tissue salts 2,4,8 and 9. start with 3 of each daily. Dissolve it in the mouth. I prefer using the Natura brand