PDA

View Full Version : Halaal or Haraam??

Bint Sayed
18-09-2012, 12:13 PM
السَّلاَمُ عَلَيْكُمُ وَرَحْمَةُ اللَّهِ وَ بَرَكَاتُهُ

I would like to know if Prosana hair and nail booster is halaal. It was recommended to me. Its a vitamin made in switzerland. The box says it contains gelatine (bovine). I've read the leaflet and it doesn't give much info. I know bovine gelatine is halaal but someone advised me to get a mufti's opinion.

Please advise carefully. May اَللَّهُ reward you.
Waslm

Raeesa Ally

Mufti Yusuf Moosagie
21-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Wa Alaikum Salaam

You have not given detail as to weather Prosana Hair & Nail Booster is applied externally or it is consumed. Therefore, I will present the ruling for both probabilities.
The term Bovine refers to beef; hence Bovine gelatine will imply to gelatine that is obtained from the bones, skins, hides, splits, trimmings etc of cattle. A brief response to your query is that if the gelatine in question is derived from such animals (cattle) which were subject to the halal slaughtering process and this can be established with certainty, then consumption of such gelatine will be permissible.
If the Islamic procedure was not imposed in the slaughtering process of the animals from which the gelatine was derived or the above cannot be verified with absolute certainty then consumption thereof is not permissible.
Given that verification of the above is many times not feasible and sometimes highly improbable, the halal status of products containing bovine or any other gelatine should always be queried with a reputable authority before consumption.

As for external usage, with the tanning process that is completed in the preparation of gelatine, the gelatin becomes Paak(pure) and may be externally applied as long as it does not originate from pigs.

For further details on this product we suggest that you get in touch with SANHA.
Johannesburg Office:

Tel: +27 [0]11 870 8000
Fax: +27 [0]11 870 8020
e-mail:[email protected]

AND ALLAH TA’ALA KNOWS BEST