PDA

View Full Version : breastfeeding beyond two years

Unregistered
11-09-2012, 02:51 PM
I am currently breastfeeding my son to be two year old son.He is showing no signs of being ready to wean.He has a milk allergy and thus I am reluctant to wean him just yet.

some people are telling me that that two years in terms of the Quran is the maximum period.i however interpret the verse to be the minimum period.

Any guidance will be appreciated jazakallah!

Mufti Yusuf Moosagie
11-09-2012, 10:00 PM
ASSALAMUALAIKUM

According to the Fatwaa of the Hanafi Mazhab the maximum period for breastfeeding is two years. Contrary to your interpretation the two year period mentioned in the Quraan is the maximum period. Therefore, the weaning process from breast milk should be completed before two years elapses.

Despite your sons allergy we advise that with the consultation and observation of a reliable Muslim doctor you wean your son from breast milk. Observe his reaction to this. If he does not respond well and the doctor advises that you return to breast feeding, then you may continue for a few more months. After a while you should again to attempt to wean him. The concession to continue for a few more months is taken from the opinion of Imam Abu Hanifa Rahimullah that one is permitted to breastfeed up to the age of two and a half years.

If the problem continues beyond the period of two and a half years then get in touch with us and Insha Allah we will advise on the next step.

AND ALLAH TA’ALA KNOWS BEST.