PDA

View Full Version : trying to do good

Unregistered
26-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Slms since the end of ramadhan, ive really been trying to do good and be a better muslim.now besides reading quran and salaah etc i wanted to know from other ppl wat else can i do? like wat surahs to read after each salaah? duas to read , kitaabs from whr i can learn good ahklaaq etc... any books i can buy for a good read? please help me. i am not the best person, i dnt have a very big heart nor very pious infact im very nasty and selfish,rude but i would really love to try to b better. nothing too extreme im taking it one day at a tym.and thanks nanima during the last 15 days of ramadaan i followed the page u were using "productive ramadan"
it was extremely helpful infact that and certain events in my life has made me decide to be a better person. also i looking for a charity or poor place to which i can mayb feed or contribute something towards[ a hands on thing] that i can do on a monthly bases. nothing too extravagant as i am not employed and just receive an allowance. please i dnt need praise from anyone if u respond jus your advice and well intended duas. if theres any page or person or place that can assist me i would love to follow. i dont have the time to go to someone to learn but online is awesome.jzk in advance

Unregistered
27-08-2012, 11:07 AM
There is so much available in kitaabs that it can be overwhelming. The combination that works for me that I find I can maintain and have managed to for almost 20 years is this one. I am more or less consistent with it. These 4 surahs are recommended to be read from anytime after magrab and b4 bed. Surah Yaseen for protection, Surah Waaqia (surah no 56) for guranatee of protection from poverty, Surah Mulk (surah no 67) for protection in the grave and Surah Sajdah (32) has immense reward. Also Surah Fath (48) after Zohr and surah Naba (78) after asr. Now that I am use to it the 4 take about 15 min and the other 2 take no more than 5 mins each. There is also a kitaab called 'The Quraan, a Healing and a mercy for those who Believe'. All the duas are ayats from Quraan and it encompasses most of your basic needs. That too, after a while now takes me under 10 mins to go through almost the entire thing. Where are you based cos I always keep extra copies. The kitaab 'Keys to the treasures of Jannah' is also good to have for all the basics.

Unregistered
27-08-2012, 11:23 AM
A group of friends and I decided we wanted to do something hands on so we approached our local school. Turns out there were 30 children who come to school having had no breakfast and bring no lunch. The christian organisation takes care of them 3 days a week so we now do the other 2 days. Nothing fancy, sometimes peanut butter on bread, sometimes polony etc. Now that we organsied it goes so fast and we do it in teams and take turns. Even if we all commit ourselves to just one day a month for mayb 10 sandwitches we can make a huge difference nutrition wise. And it feels so good to know that you helped fill an innocent childs tummy.

Abu Nafeesa
27-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Assalamu Alikum

Alhamdulillah Allah has granted you an opening to gain closeness to him, remember this only out of the grace and mercy of Allah.

I would recommend you read the book called "The Book of Assistance" by Imam Haddad. Its a very short book and the author`s style of writing is simple and straight to the point, it is written as if though he is talking to you directly. It has benefited me tremendously as i felt the same way u are feeling 2 ramadaans ago asking the same questions.

After reading a chapter try to implement as much as u can from it, below is an online link for the book, but it would be best to get yourself a hardcopy of the book as it is a wonderful resource to have.

Hope this will assist you Inshallah

http://www.slideshare.net/IslamicBooks/the-book-of-assistanceimam-hadad

Unregistered
27-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Wslm
Fazaail Aamal, Aameen

Unregistered
27-08-2012, 11:52 AM
If you are in the Cape Town area - there are many interesting courses you can attend. For one is "matters of the heart" a series aimed at purification of the heart and attaining contentment and inner peace.

Some interesting books to read - based on attaining contentment are : Dont be sad and Enjoy your life.
Like you said the changes be implemented day at a time - if you rush it may be overwhelming and you will easily lose the worth and essence of transformation.

What I do is maintain salah and sadaqah ( eg. when i stop at robot or go fill petrol - I give the petrol attendant something - doesnt have to be alot but you will notice that just be giving sadqah everyday Allah's blessings and protection will prevail over you Alhamdulila.

Another priority i make is atleast 10% of my salary everything towards a charity organisation or assisting a needy person in my community - in the beginning you will think "oh no I'm going to be short at the end of the month if i give this R500,00 but complete trust in Allah that sadaqah will open so many doors for you where you will always have some cash in your purse / wallet.

Like you I also strive to be a better muslim each day as you implement gratitude and kindness in your life - you will notice initially small change but they will grow and all you do will be blessed with Allah's mercy.

Life is so short and a small act of kindness will save us from entering Jahannam In shaa Allah.

There is a hadith to this effect - where someone ask Rasullulah what the defnition of a pauper was. The person said is a pauper someone that is extremely poor and Rasululah Answered: No a pauper is he who fasts, makes salaah, gives zakah but has ill feelings and looks down upon another person.

I trust my response will make a small difference in your step towards Allah In shaa Allah.

Remember my family and I in your dua's.

Salaams

Unregistered
27-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Wow mashallah may Allah grant you istiqamat. Sister start of simple by daily reciting at least a ruku of the quraan,slowly building up as the weeks progress. Also start by reciting surah waaqiah after maghrib salaah in the first week, then add surah sajda in the seciod week and surah mulk in the third week. Try making sure you read some sort of zikr daily, istighfaar is excellent as well as durood shareef and the kalimas. Start slowly and increase as you go along. InshaAllah it will help get rid of your pride etcmmas for charity work if you in dbn contact darul ihsan and they can recommend something for you.

Unregistered
27-08-2012, 12:56 PM
May Allah keep u steadfast.آمين . Establish Taaleem in your house by readin da kitaab Fazail-e-Amaal (virtues of good deeds). إنشاء الله it wil inspire 2 do more good deeds.

Unregistered
27-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Wslmz

Plz, get a copy of the book "Keys to the treasures of Jannah".

It is an excellent and very comprehensive book which should cover most of the items you looking for.

Whenever "learning" and obtaining information frm the internet. It is always advisable to verify all the information you come across, in order to confirm the authenticity of the information before you start to practice.

May ALLAH(SWT) make it easy for u and remember all of us in your spiritual journey which you have embarked upon.

Very important to keep in mind is that.....

The best of actions are those that are done with punctuality and consistency even though it may be a few / little.

The committing of sin, has the potential to eliminate the good actions and deeds we have performed.

What ever good you do, do it only and solely for the pleasure of ALLAH(SWT).

Unregistered
27-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Downloading and listening to mufti menk's lectures is very informative and his lectures are extremely captivating and encouraging.

Whether in mp3 or mp4 format, they are just great.

www.muftimenk.co.za

This is just one of the many places that you can download his lectures for free.

You can also browse the following web site: www.almeenlibrary.com

They have some informative and a huge selection of islamic content which is available for downloading.

Unregistered
28-08-2012, 10:37 PM
assalamualaikum.
i found when we we came back from our Hajj, that i had the same yearning to keep up those spiritual feelings, what helped me alot was to read the quraan with understanding, i.e get a reliable and authentic translation of the quraan. recite your daily surahs inarabic but also take one page or surah at a time and read its translation. u will be amazed by how much u learn, and as you continue you will want to know more and in more depth, going into the tafsir of the quraan. Remember thT the words of Allah are for us not just to recite melodiously Nd blindly, but also to ponder their meaning with understanding. May Allah accept all your ibadah. ameen