PDA

View Full Version : severe back pain

Unregistered
15-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Good day, I am 26yrs old. I had my little girl 13 months ago, she was 3.84kg at birth.I delivered via c-sec. When I was 5 years old I had a lumbar punch and my lower back has always been very tender, but after the delivery I've been experiencing a lot of back pain. I've been to a physio a few times an was told my back is in spasm. Can it really last this long? I take pain medication daily :(

Dr Joy Saville
16-08-2012, 11:11 AM
During pregnancy many women suffer with back ache as a result of the increase weight gained. And after pregnancy you constantly need to pick up your child for feeds and changes and burping etc which can further contribute to the pressure placed on your lower back. Firstly, if you need to lose weight do so as this will help decrease the tension in the back. Secondly, you need to learn proper lifting techniques, bending with your knees and not with your back, keeping your little girl (or any other object) as close to your body as possible as you straighten your knees. You should also try to do some exercises that will strengthen your back and stomach muscles. I recommend you join a pilates class or get a pilates instructor to help you in this area. Tight muscles - your butt, legs, upper back - can all contribute towards pain in the lower back, so stretching is incredibly important. You should definitely have regular cupping sessions to alleviate the inflammation in your back muscles. If you are in the Jhb area, i know a great therapist (deals with sports and muscle injuries) that i can advise you to go see. Please drop me an email if you would like the details