PDA

View Full Version : underactive thyroid

Unregistered
05-08-2012, 08:35 PM
I have an underactive thyroid and am currently on eltroxin.My recent T4 test results were within normal limits but am still feeling fatiqued and depressed.Is this normal or should I go and see an endocronologist.

Dr Joy Saville
08-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Generally the symptoms should become progressively better with the increase in T4. However, it is important not to rely completely on your medication and support your body with proper nutrition as this can also lead to symptoms of depression and fatigue which you are already susceptible to. According to Tibb, an underactive thyroid results from cold and moist qualities. These qualities are related to feelings of depression and fatigue. Therefore, you should increase the levels of heat and dryness in your body by eating heating foods and by exercising regularly. Heating foods includes your hot spices and herbs like tumeric, chili, garlic, ginger, cinnamon. Also, most of your nuts (not peanuts) is classified as heating foods and they are also support brain health as they are rich in omega's. Eat oily fish like salmon and trout twice a week if you can. Things that increase cold and moist qualities includes milk, butter and margarine and are best avoided. It is important that half of your daily intake of food comes from vegetables and fruit and that you cut out most of your sugars, refined products like white bread, white rice, white pasta, cakes, crisps etc. Also try not to use lots of oil when cooking.

As for exercise, start slow doing exercise for about 5-10 minutes each day and build up as you are able to. you should aim to do exercise for at least 30 minutes most days of the week but at least 3 days is necessary.

Manage your emotions by doing slow and deep breathing exercises in the early morning and before bedtime
take a deep breath in through the nose, push the stomach out, hold for 4 seconds and breathe out through the nose
Try to practice this for 5-20 minutes
Salah is a form of meditation and is excellent to keep negative emotions at bay

Unregistered
10-09-2012, 03:40 PM
I also have an underactive thyroid and it explains my entire temperament. The best I ever felt was after three months of gymming and eating healthy. The first two weeks of gym were aweful. I was exhausted. I did not have the energy to get up and go gym again... but I had a trainer and I paid a fortune for him to train me. After a month my mood was better, my energy levels were much much better. I guess each person has their own experience but this is mine and I therefore recommend some exercise - especially for the moods. It helps to just kick a boxing bag for a while.

Dr Joy Saville
12-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Thank you for your feedback. It is really helpful when people speak about their experiences of what worked or never worked. It's much appreciated