PDA

View Full Version : kids n gastro

Unregistered
09-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Plz can u assist me we just came back from dbn last week n from saturday all the kids have gastro. We did see a dr n got them on valoid n scopex for the cramps n mnausea as well as loperamide for diarea but they still cramping n goin to the toilet!plz advis as to wat else. I cud do and wat diet they shud be following as I'm gving them a lot of yoghurt n liquids and how long does it take to recover!
Thanks

Dr Joy Saville
15-01-2013, 04:20 PM
My apology for the delayed response. Diarrhoea is usually self limiting, which means that it should resolve within the first 1-7 days. However if this is still an ongoing problem i would advise that you return to your doctor.

Keeping them hydrated and replacing lost electrolytes are very important as dehydration is one of the main complications of diarrhoea. Make a solution using 1 litre of boiling water with 8 tsp of sugar and a half teaspoon of salt. The kids should try to drink between 1/4 cup to a full cup (depending in the age of your kids) after every loose stool passed.

The simplest diet to follow would be the BRAT diet. This Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast