PDA

View Full Version : Relocating to Cape Town

Unregistered
10-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Looking for any info and advice regarding shifting to Cape Town- which areas are safe, close to ammenities, the mall, and masjid. A town house is prefferable in a secure complex although an apartment could be an option. We are newly married and shifting for work purposes. The drive to work should be maximum 25km one way to Kuils River from the house. Really need input from people staying there and any help will be really appreciated.

Faatima
22-07-2012, 11:11 PM
I have been living here for over 6 years now. moved from Jhb. Cape Town is a beautiful place to live in. Hallal food and islamic communities are easy to cme by and most people know about Islam here. people are generally relaxed and very laid back, which i found abit frustrating at first at there seems to be no rush with services etc here. Everyone is happy to wait and there is no urgency. u will soon getused to it. For central places, Century city is a good place to live in, Has agrowing muslim community, easily accessible to highways and has the big Mall Canal Walk vey close buy. lots of new developments and townhouses, Advise thT you rent before deciding where to buy. For indian food , groceries etc, shop in Gatevilles, Rylands, Athlone. Socially people are more reserved here in Cape Town then in Jhb, not sure where youre coming from. There isnt any apparent racism but races dont usually mix here on a social level.i.e Indians stick together, Malays do their own thing, Coloureds have there own hangouts etc, not as cosmopolitN as Jhb. Also it seems mosts of the outsiders(not born in Cape Town) tend to make friends and hang out together as a result. Be prepared for the weather changes, winter is WET! summer is absolutley (except for the wind) and the city comes alive, there is so much to do and see here and its usually free. good luck with your move.

Unregistered
23-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Slmz how aboUt schools and r there also any blind schools around capetown

Unregistered
23-07-2012, 11:29 AM
I guess in life we move on

Unregistered
23-07-2012, 03:52 PM
if you will be working in kuilsriver, look for a place in the northern suburbs. the avondale, de grendel areas. panorama has a musjid and a some what large muslim community. its also central enough to century city (canal walk) where you can do all ur shopping becoz all shops are open till 9pm. You will also have easy to the indian areas (gatesville, rylands etc) via vanguard drive. whatever you decide, try to get a place close to the N1. If you get a place in the southern suburbs.i dont know about schools though.

Unregistered
26-07-2012, 02:22 PM
I have been living here for over 6 years now. moved from Jhb. Cape Town is a beautiful place to live in. Hallal food and islamic communities are easy to cme by and most people know about Islam here. people are generally relaxed and very laid back, which i found abit frustrating at first at there seems to be no rush with services etc here. Everyone is happy to wait and there is no urgency. u will soon getused to it. For central places, Century city is a good place to live in, Has agrowing muslim community, easily accessible to highways and has the big Mall Canal Walk vey close buy. lots of new developments and townhouses, Advise thT you rent before deciding where to buy. For indian food , groceries etc, shop in Gatevilles, Rylands, Athlone. Socially people are more reserved here in Cape Town then in Jhb, not sure where youre coming from. There isnt any apparent racism but races dont usually mix here on a social level.i.e Indians stick together, Malays do their own thing, Coloureds have there own hangouts etc, not as cosmopolitN as Jhb. Also it seems mosts of the outsiders(not born in Cape Town) tend to make friends and hang out together as a result. Be prepared for the weather changes, winter is WET! summer is absolutley (except for the wind) and the city comes alive, there is so much to do and see here and its usually free. good luck with your move.

Thanks So much for the info Faatima- :) Really appreciate the tips too- now i'm looking forward to shifting - thanks to you :)

Also to the other guest who suggested nothern suburbs and gave names- Thank you will definitely put them into the search bar too :)

I hope someone will help the other guest with school info.. I don't need it yet but it could always come in handy later..