PDA

View Full Version : nails

Unregistered
05-12-2012, 12:51 PM
I seem to have an embarrassing fungal nail infection on several of my toenails - they are thickening and discolouring. I know that there are oral prescription tablets available however I am breastfeeding so cannot take these. I have been using otc topical ointments for several months but it hasn't made a big difference. Please can you suggest a solution. Many thanks

Dr Joy Saville
13-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Unfortunately many herbal preparations are contraindicated during breast feeding. However you can try the following home remedies:
take 3 teaspoons of tumeric powder. add a little water to make a thick paste. apply this onto the affected areas for 30 minutes twice a day and then rinse off.
crush a potato, apply this paste onto the affected area for 30 minutes twice a day. you can wrap a clothe around it if it helps keep the paste on the toenails.
take 1 cup of vinegar in a small bath of water. soak the feet for 30 minutes twice a day.

Make sure you dry the feet and toes properly with a separate towel as the one you use on your body. Also try to wear open shoes as often as possible as the warm, moist environment that develops in closed shoes provides an optimal environment for fungi to grow.